Pages

Friday 28 August 2015

Making a Titanic Birthday Cake

So back in July Blake turned 6. He didn't want a party as he had asked to visit the Train Museum in York instead. I decided however that I'd make him a cake regardless as we were having a few friends for tea and then he could share the rest at school.

 At this point I wasn't worried as I imagined he'd be asking for a Thomas the Tank Engine cake - my preferred option as this would entail no baking and a short trip to the supermarket to but a ready made one. I was however fully expecting him to ask for a Minecraft themed cake, I'd prepped it in my head and spent a good few hours on Pinterest scoping out other such themed cakes. I'd even sourced where to buy a square cutter and green icing from - I'm no cake decorator or baker but was happy to give it a go. 

Imagine my horror when two days BEFORE said birthday, small boy asked for a Titanic cake. I offered to correct his slip of the tongue and asked if he meant to say Minecraft. No Mummy, was his determined reply - I want a Titanic cake. Great I thought, can't see me grabbing one of those off the shelf in Tesco.

I somehow managed to create the scene shortly before Titanic hit the rather huge iceberg.  At one point however, I was going to present him with a blue cake with a lump of white icing on it and declare that Titanic had indeed already sunk. Figured this might disappoint small boy somewhat.

I panicked and set about re examining Pinterest for Titanic cakes, these were my two favourites for very different reasons:

 
I was still panicking however, one baking is not my strong point, two cake decorating is not my strong point. So I started Googling like a woman possessed and to my delight found a Titanic model kit at Hobbycraft for just £2.50 (life saver) and a ready to decorate chocolate cake from Asda.

Building the Titanic. For just £2.50 the kit instructions demanded a lot and said I'd need a hammer, glue, sand paper, nails and paint. Erm no, an emery board some glue and my kids paint did just fine thanks!

Titanic_Birthday_Cake

The cake and my ready coloured, ready to roll icing too:

Titanic_Birthday_Cake

I had some alphabet cutters from Zac's naming day cakes. All I added extra were candles and a sparkler. Job's a good 'un.

Titanic_Birthday_Cake

Luckily Blake loved it and was even happier as the Titanic hadn't sunk and he got to keep it as a toy to play with. Unexpected cake bonus.

Titanic_Birthday_Cake

I only have 4 more months to wait and see what Zac wants on his next Birthday Cake!

Hugs
Victoria
xxx

Pin It

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog, if you have time please leave me a comment as I love to read them.
Thanks
Victoria
x